As we approach the colder winter months, sometimes your immune system needs a helping hand.
What better way than with my delicious Elderberry Tincture that tastes divine and also packs a nutrient punch to any pesky germs that are lying around.
What exactly is an Elderberry and why is it good for you?
Elder trees grows in abundance in woodlands, typically in North America. They produce elderberries which are small, dark purple berries.
Not only are they incredibly rich in vitamins, antioxidants & anthocyanins (which gives them they're beautiful colour) - they have also shown to support our immune system through mild anti-viral mechanisms*.
Research is ongoing to substantiate the anti-viral properties of Elderberries*, but we know that they have been used for centuries as a herbal remedy to support good health & vitality.
I love incorporating this into my daily routine when I'm feeling a bit run down, tired or stressed as this is when our immune system tends to becomes compromised and a nutrient hit from this Herbal Tonic is a great booster.
To make this tincture, you'll need:
- 800ml cold filtered water
- 100g dried organic elderberries (I bought mine online and soaked them first)
- 2 tbsp grated ginger
- 1/2 tsp raw cloves
- 150g Manuka honey
How to make it:
1) Add all ingredients except the honey into a medium saucepan and bring to a gentle boil.
2) Reduce to a simmer for about 40 minutes until the liquid has reduced by half.
3) Remove from the heat and let cool. Squish the berries using clean hands to remove their insides and then pour through a medium sized strainer.
4) Discard the elderberries (or eat them with coconut yoghurt like I did)!
5) When the tincture is totally cool, stir in the honey and transfer to a sterilised glass jar or bottle.
6) Keep in the fridge for up to a month, taking 1-3tsp daily as necessary!